• Provide individual and small group tutoring to Cypress College students by integrating study and learning strategies that promote students to be independent learners.
• Assist students in improving academic achievement by clarifying learning problems and working on study skills.
• Tutors may assist students by: reviewing class material, discussing the text and lecture notes, predicting test questions, formulating ideas, or working on solutions to problems.
• Attend tutor training once per month on Friday mornings during the semester in order to receive College Reading and Learning Association (CLRA) tutor certification; must complete Level 1 certification within one-year of hire.
• Adhere to your assigned tutor schedule and be punctual to each shift.
• Promote tutoring services by conducting classroom visits.
• Act in a professional manner, and work with a significant degree of independence and good judgment.
• Demonstrate an understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, mental or physical disability, and religious background of all students, faculty, and staff.
• Participate in District/College efforts to increase the diversity of faculty and staff and to address student achievement gaps; active assistance in the creation of a welcoming and inclusive work and educational environment; attend and participate in diversity, equity and inclusion trainings and events.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Needs to have some college with significant course work in the subject area you tutor.
• Must have received an “A” or “B” grade in the course(s) you tutor.
• Strong communication skills to clearly explain concepts to students.
• Communicate effectively in a timely manner with supervisor(s).
• Commitment to diversity. All applicants must have demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and staff. The applicant must be able to demonstrate how their experience with these factors relates to successfully achieving the goals of the position.
• Tutoring hours will be assigned according to student demand, tutor availability, and center needs.
$16.00–$20.00 per hour
Application materials should be uploaded via the CCC Registry.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we ask that you do not contact the Tutorial Services Coordinator directly. They will review the information provided and contact you if an opening arises or if they are interested in scheduling an interview. Possession of minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview. Also note that you must upload your resume and transcripts in addition to your application through the Registry website. Applications submitted without all required documents will not be considered. Evidence of degree conferred/awarded must be printed on a legible transcript.
Apply online via the CCC Registry:
Click on "Apply for This Job" and follow the instructions.
This position requires completion of the Faculty Recommendation form. Please have this form completed by the appropriate Faculty. This form can be found at the following link:
Please be sure to include your availability (days and hours), and the subject you are requesting to tutor.