Position: REFERENCE LIBRARIAN – Los Banos Campus
(Successful candidates may be assigned to other locations)
This position is contingent upon funding at the time of hire
Salary: $50,868 – 69,468 (additional compensation for doctorate)
Closing Date: May 16, 2016, 5:00 pm, PST
Beginning Date: August 11, 2016
• Master’s degree in Library Science, Library and Information Science OR the equivalent.
• Knowledge of community college library standards and procedures including planning and implementing library instruction sessions.
• Working knowledge of standard types of electronic subscription databases.
• Technology and/or reference experience relevant to academic libraries.
• Candidate must have sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
• Ability to work constructively both independently and in cooperation with colleagues and users in a service-oriented environment.
• Organizational, problem-solving, and communication skills.
• Ability to use available technologies as a teaching and/or student service tool.
• Ability to use electronic resources and/or emerging library technologies including library uses for social networking applications.
• Current technology skills related to teaching in the discipline and a willingness to pursue future technological developments.
• Willingness to travel between campuses.
General Description: This is a full-time tenure track assignment at the Los Banos Campus under the general supervision of the Dean of the Los Banos Campus and in collaboration with the Director of the Learning Resource Center. The Librarian will be responsible for a full range of professional duties including: providing reference services, collection development in collaboration with instructional departments, using and instructing in the use of information technologies, developing instructional materials, working collaboratively with diverse range of individuals, performing additional public services as assigned, including possible night and weekend service.
• Work with the library and college community to implement and promote use of library services
• Provide library orientations, tours, and other library instruction sessions
• Provide reference service several hours per week at Library Reference Desk
• Work collaboratively with library faculty to develop, measure, assess, and revise reference and library instruction student learning outcomes
• Assist in developing and maintaining a reference and information services web page
• Assist in developing and maintaining information and reference resources including electronic resources such as digital videos, webcasts, and podcasts
• Work with the library and college community to implement and promote use of library resources, including electronic resources, and to solicit input from instructional faculty on issues regarding electronic resources and collection development
• Coordinate with the LRC Director and other faculty librarians in planning and implementing and revising library services district-wide
• Evaluate and assess use of resources working with library
• Participate in off-campus conferences and professional activities related to the responsibilities of the position
• Participate in library and college activities, including serving on library and college committees and attending Los Banos Campus area meetings
• Participate in continuing education, professional associations, and/or research
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Work nights and weekends as needed
Los Banos Campus: The Los Banos Campus of the Merced Community College District is a full service college center located approximately forty miles west of Merced. At least 140 classes are taught each semester in a wide variety of disciplines, with coursework ranging from developmental to transfer level. The campus enrolls about 2,200 students from the western side of Merced County. There are 20 full time faculty and approximately 50 adjunct faculty members.
Merced Learning Resources Center: The Learning Resources Center (LRC) is the home of the Merced College Library and the Audio Visual center. The LRC provides research and instructional resources and support for all Merced College students, faculty, and staff. The Library is one of the most dynamic and inviting areas on campus. In addition to several study areas, the library also provides access to research computers, online catalogs, professional research staff, study rooms, and a library orientation classroom. The LRC is proud of its reputation of providing outstanding services to students, this is reflected in its motto of, “All Students, All the Time.”
How to Apply: All applicants must provide the following items by the closing date in order to be considered for this recruitment. Documents may be emailed or faxed in order to meet the deadline, but all documents must be clear and legible. Email to: HR@mccd.edu, or Fax: 209-384-6103 or mail: Sue Miller, Office of Human Resources, Merced College, 3600 M Street, Merced, CA 95348-2898
1. Completed District application form available online http://www.mccd.edu/offices/hr/jobs/faculty-ft.html
2. Letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position
4. Three recent letters of recommendation
5. Legible unofficial college transcripts (undergraduate and graduate). Transcripts must include the degree major and date the institution granted the degree. Official copies are not required unless applicant is hired.
6. Foreign transcripts must include a U.S. evaluation and translation.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required materials are in the Human Resources Office on the filing deadline. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. All materials submitted in your application file become District property and will not be returned to you.
Individuals with disabilities may request any needed accommodation to participate in the application process. Please submit your request with your application to the Human Resources Office.
Interview Information: Those applicants deemed most qualified for the position will be invited to appear for oral interviews before a screening committee which includes a 15-minute demonstration on a selected topic. Finalist interviews with district administrators will follow the same or next day. A limited number of candidates will be invited to interviews. Expenses for travel and accommodations will be the responsibility of the candidates.
Employee Benefits: The District pays (with small contribution from employee) health, prescription, vision and dental insurance premiums for the employee and dependents. Life and income protection insurance premiums are provided for the employee only. Sick leave and retirement benefits are also provided.
Condition of Employment: The selected candidate must be livescanned and tested for tuberculosis at his/her own expense prior to the start of employment. In compliance with the Immigration Reform Act of 1986, all new employees are required to verify their identity and the right to work in the United States. An applicant must be able to perform essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations. Faculty members, as a condition of employment, must become members of Merced College Faculty Association or pay a representation fee in an equal amount to a charity agreeable to MCFA. All offers of employment are subject to approval by the Board of Trustees.
April 15, 2016 sm